Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Digital Immigrants Vs Natives

Marc Prensky sets out the notion that there are Digital Immigrants and Natives…today's students who have grown up with technology are natives and I guess that makes everyone else immigrants. At the “old” age of 31, I’m not quite sure where to put myself…I don’t feel like an immigrant…and yet as I watch “kids these days” text and game I don’t exactly feel like a native. In general, I agree with Prensky's concept, but I don't like all his implication. I would lump digital natives vs. immigrants with generational differences or those personality assessments where they assign you a color or classify you as an otter or a lion. It’s a kind of a suedo-science but generally speaking, the concepts are true.

I think today’s students would prefer to learn in technology enhanced ways because, well, frankly, they are usually more fun or at the very least more interesting. Personally, I would rather listen to a lecture with the aid of a PowerPoint than a person just standing up there gabbing…. Now, here is where Prensky and I part ways. I think that natives would PREFER to learning differently, while Prensky states that there is a physical change that has taken place, “Today’s students think and process information fundamentally differently from their predecessors.” I don’t agree with that, and neither does Jamie McKenzie, who poked holes in his theory.

I don’t feel it is the job of today’s educators to entertain their students, but I do feel they must engage them. And technology is probably one of the most effective ways to do that. However, I also feel it is the job of an educator to prepare students for the future and the workplace is going to be full of Digital Immigrants – so students must learn to survive in that environment where natives are likely the minority.

8 comments:

  1. Jodi, at 31 you would have been born in 1981 or 1982 - making you a cusper (i.e., those born at the cusp or within a couple of years on either side of a generational distinction). Often, cuspers will exhibit characteristics of both generations that they straddle. At least that is what the literature on generational differences in general says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born in late 1980...a cusper - I think I like that! ;)

      Delete
  2. You put it well when you said that natives "prefer" to learn with the aid of digital tools. I think it is very important to distinguish between preferring to learn a certain way versus actually HAVING to learn that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with what you said about digital natives preferring to use technology because it is more fun, but that it doesn't mean they are "wired differently" than digital immigrants. I think kids like technology because it is fun and familiar to them. I teach photography and they ALL know how to use a digital camera. But, when they go in the darkroom for a day and get to see pictures being created the old fashioned way, they think it is the COOLEST THING EVER. It's not a high tech, but it might as well be magic to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you make an interesting word choice when you talk about the preferences of students. Do you think the push towards using more technology in the classroom is centered around this preference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so - I hear a lot of teachers say that students often drive what technology gets used. Our school uses Blackboard and if a teacher doesn't use it they get a lot of grief from the students in the class.

      Delete
  5. I think if studies could be done to prove anything, it's that our kids are OVERLY stimulated, thus making their preference for technology in the classroom stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - and I think all too often technology can just add to the noise. It should be used to support learning, but I think it often takes over and becomes the point!

      Delete